Xuebin Liao, PI
Tenure-Track Associate Professor, School of Pharmaceutical Science, Collaborative Innovation Center for Diagnosis and Treatment of Infectious Diseases, Tsinghua University. Prof. Xuebin Liao obtained his B.S. degree from Peking University in 1995. Then he did his Ph.D work on natural product synthesis with Prof. James M. Cook at the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee from 1998-2004. After that, from 2005-2008, he was a postdoctoral associate with Prof. John F. Hartwig at Yale and later at UIUC. In 2009, he held a position of Research Investigator I at GNF (the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation). At GNF, his research was centered on discovering new drug candidates for pharmaceutical optimization. In September of 2012, he joined the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Science, School of Medicine, Tsinghua University.
Major scientific contributions
Honors and Awards
2. “Copper-Catalyzed 2,2,2-Trifluoroethylthiolation of Aryl Halides” Chen, S.; Zhang, M.; Liao, X. *; Weng, Z. * J. Org. Chem. 2016, ASAP. (*corresponding author)
3. “Nickel-catalyzed Methylation of Aryl Halides with Deuterated Methyl Iodide”Hu, L.; Liu, X. Liao, X.* Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 9743. (*corresponding author)
4. “Access to the Pyrroloindoline Core via [3 + 2] Annulation as well as the Application in the Synthetic Approach to (±)-Minfiensine ”Ji, W.; Yao, L.; Liao, X. * Org. Lett. 2016, 18, 628.(*corresponding author)
5. “Enantioselective and Diastereoselective Azo-coupling/Iminium-Cyclization: A Unified Strategy for the Total Synthesis of (-)-Psychotriasine and (+)-Pestalazine B ”Li, Q.; Xia, T.; Yao, L.; Deng, H.*; Liao, X. * Chem. Sci. 2015, 6, 3599.(*corresponding author)
6. “Fluorescent Probes for the Detection of Hydrogen Peroxidein Biological Systems”Liu, Y.*, Liao,X.* Curr. Org. Chem. 2013, 17, 654.(*corresponding author)
7. “Stereospecific Approach to the Synthesis of Ring‑A Oxygenated Sarpagine Indole Alkaloids. Talent Total Synthesis of the Dimeric Indole Alkaloid P‑(+)-Dispegatrine and Six Other Monomeric Indole Alkaloids” Edwankar, C. R.; Edwankar, R. V.; Namjoshi, O. A.; Liao, X.; Cook, J. M. J. Org. Chem. 2013, 78, 6471.
8. “2‑Bromopalmitate Analogues as Activity-Based Probes To Explore Palmitoyl Acyltransferases” Zheng, B.; DeRan, M.; Li, X.; Liao, X.; Fukata, M.; Wu, X. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135, 7082.
9. “Enantioselective Total Syntheses of (–)-Taiwaniaquinone H and (–)-Taiwaniaquinol B by Iridium-Catalyzed Borylation and Palladium-Catalyzed Asymmetric α-Arylation” Liao, X.; Stanley, L. M.; Hartwig, J. F.; J. Am. Chem. Soc.2011, 133, 2088.
10. “ Small Molecule Antagonists in Distinct Binding Modes Inhibit Drug Resistant Mutant of Smoothened” Tao, H.; Jin, Q.; Koo, D.; Liao, X.; Englund, N. P.; Wang, Y.; Ramamurthy, A.; Schultz, P. G.; Dorsch, M.; Kelleher, J.; Wu, X. Chem. Biol. 2011, 18, 432.
11. “Cyanation of Arenes via Iridium-catalyzed Borylation” Liske, C. W.; Liao, X.; Hartwig, J. F.; J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 11389.
12. “Enantioselective -Arylation of Ketones with Aryl Triflates Catalyzed by Difluorphos Complexes of Palladium and Nickel” Liao, X.; Weng, Z.; Hartwig, J. F.; J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 195.(published and highlighted in SYNFACTS issue 04/08)
13. “General Approach to the Total Synthesis of 9-Methoxy-Substituted Indole Alkaloids: Synthesis of Mitragynine, as well as 9-Methoxygeissoschizol and 9-Methoxy-Nb-methylgeissoschizol” Ma, J.; Yin, W.; Zhou, H.; Liao, X; Cook, J. M. J. Org. Chem. 2009, 74, 264.
14. “Synthesis and structure-activity relationship studies on tryprostatin A, an inhibitor of breast cancer resistance protein” Jain, H. D.; Zhang, C.; Zhou, S.; Zhou, H.; Ma, J.; Liu, X.; Liao, X.; Deveau, A. M.; Dieckhaus, C. M.; Johnson, M. A.; Smith, K. S.; Macdonald, T. L.; Kakeya, H.; Osada, H.; Cook, J. M. Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2008, 16, 4626.
15. “meta-Halogenation of 1,3-Disubstituted Arenes via Iridium-catalyzed Arene Borylation” Murphy, J. M.; Liao, X.; Hartwig, J. F.; J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 129, 15434.
16. “Palladium-Catalyzed α-Arylation of Trimethylsilyl Enol Ethers with Aryl Bromides and Chlorides: The Synergistic Effect of Two Metal Fluorides as Additives” Su, W †; Raders, S; † Verkade, J. G.;*,†Liao, X.;‡ and Hartwig, J. F.*,‡ Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2006, 45, 5852. a VIP paper and highlighted at the cover. (two group’s work)
17. “A Cascade Approach Toward the Core Structure of Neosarpagine” Liao, X.; Huang, S.; Zhou, H.; Parrish, D.; Cook, J. M. Org Lett. 2007, 9, 1469.
18. “An Improved Total Synthesis of (+)-Macroline and Alstonerine as well as the Formal Total Synthesis of (-)-Talcarpine and (-)-Anhydromacrosalhine-methine” Liao, X.; Zhou, H.; Cook, J. M.; J. Org. Chem. 2006, 71, 8884. (most-accessed articles: October-December, 2006)
19. General Approach for the Synthesis of 12-Methoxy-Substituted Sarpagine Indole Alkaloids Including (-)-12-Methoxy-Nb-methylvoachalotine, (+)-12-Methoxy-Na-methylvellosimine, (+)-12-Methoxyaffinisine, and (-)-Fuchsiaefoline” Zhou, H.; Liao, X.; Yin, W.; Ma, J.; Cook, J. M. J. Org. Chem. 2006, 71, 251.
20. “The First Regiospecific, Enantiospecific Total Synthesis of 6-Oxoalstophylline and an Improved Total Synthesis of Alstonerine and Alstophylline as well as the Bisindole Alkaloid Macralstonine” Liao, X.; Zhou, H.; Wearing, X.; Ma, J.; Cook, J. M. Org. Lett. 2005,7, 3501.