Gang LIU, Professor
Prof. Gang Liu got his Ph.D. from School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Beijing Medical University in 1994. Then he had two postdoctoral fellowships in Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, AMMS and The Scripps Research Institute, respectively, from 1994 to 1997. After a senior scientist career for three years in University of California at Davis, he established his own laboratory in 2000 at Institute of Materia Medica, CAMS & PUMC, when he was awarded “Peking Union” Scholar. In 2011, he moved to School of Medicine, Tsinghua University as chair of Department of Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Sciences(School of Pharmaceutical Sciences). He was one of the ﬁfth sessions of the veterinary drug evaluation experts of Ministry of agriculture of People's Republic of China. He is currently associate editor of "Molecular Diversity", and former Editorial advisory board members of “Journal of Medicinal Chemistry”, "Chinese Journal of medicinal chemistry", "Chinese medicine" (English Edition), “Journal of pharmacy”, etc. He had been awarded a R01 NIH grant on SARS-CoV peptide-based vaccine development, and participated in Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation on TB drug discovery and development. As PI or Co-PI, he has received grants of 863 and 973 programs of the Ministry of science and technology of China, Major drug discovery project, National Science Foundation of China, Ministry of personnel, Ministry of Education, etc.
His laboratory had successfully developed a drug candidate Conmutaxol and Salutaxel, which are conjugates of paclitaxel or docetaxel and MDP derivatives, designed to be inhibiting inﬂammatory cytokines from tumor microenvironment, thereby inhibiting tumor metastasis and tumor growth. This is declared to the CFDA for clinical investigation.
1. Antagonists of pattern recognition receptor NOD1/2 inhibited both tumor growth and metastasis via reversing chemo-therapeutic resistance via (J. Med. Chem. 2018, 61, 1519-1540; J. Med. Chem. 2017, 60 (12), 5162–5192.; J. Med. Chem. 2017, 60, 1219-1224; J. Med. Chem. 2011, 54(8): 2767-77; Glycoconj J 2008, 25: 415–425.)
Honors and Awards
2. Cathay Award of 12th Chinese International Peptide Symposium, 2012.
3. Professor of “100 Top talents Program”, Tsinghua University, 2011.
4. “Chang Jiang” Scholar, Ministry of Education the People’s Republic of China, 2005.
5. “Peking Union” Scholar, Chinese Academy Medical Sciences & Peking Union Medical College, 2000.
6. Wuxi PharmaTech life and chemistry research award, 2007, the third place.
7. Beijing science and Technology Progress Award, 2006, the third place.
8. CAIA Science and Technology Award, 2005, the third place.
2. Ana Negri, Prisca Javidnia, Ran Mu, Xiaojie Zhang, Jeremie Vendome, Ben Gold, Julia Roberts, Dipti Barman, Thomas Ioerger, James Sacchettini, Xiuju Jiang, Kristin Burns-Huang, Thulasi Warrier, Yan Lin, David Warren, Thijs Beuming, Hongyao Wang, Jie Wu, Haitao Li, Kyu Rhee, Carl F. Nathan, Gang Liu*, Selin Somersan-Karakaya*, Identification of a mycothiol-dependent nitro-oxidoreductase from Mycobacterium tuberculosis, ACS Infect. Dis. Jan. 2018, online.
3. Suhua Wang, Jingshu Yang, Xueyuan Li, Zijie Liu, Youzhen Wu, Guangxu Si, Yiran Tao, Nan Zhao, Xiao Hu, Yao Ma*, Gang Liu*, Discovery of 1,4-Benzodiazepine-2,5-dione (BZD) Derivatives as Dual Nucleotide Binding Oligomerization Domain Containing 1 /2 (NOD1/NOD2) Antagonists Sensitizing Paclitaxel (PTX) to Suppress Lewis Lung Carcinoma (LLC) Growth In Vivo, J. Med. Chem. 2017, 60 (12), 5162–5192.
4. Yi Dong, Suhua Wang, Chunting Wang, Zihua Li, Yao Ma*, Gang Liu*, Antagonizing NOD2 Signaling with Conjugates of Paclitaxel and Muramyl Dipeptide Derivatives Sensitizes Paclitaxel Therapy and Significantly Prevents Tumor Metastasis, J. Med. Chem. 2017, 60, 1219-1224.
5. Yameng Pei, Chunting Wang, S. Frank Yan*, Gang Liu*，Past, Current, and Future Developments of Therapeutic Agents for Treatment of Chronic Hepatitis B Virus Infection，J. Med. Chem. 2017, 60, 6461-6479. Invited perspective.
6. Qidi Wang, Lianfeng Zhang, Kazuhiko Kuwahara, Li Li, Zijie Liu, Taisheng Li, Hua Zhu, Jiangning Liu, Yanfeng Xu, Jing Xie, Hiroshi Morioka, Nobuo Sakaguchi*, Chuan Qin*, Gang LIU*, Immunodominant SARS Coronavirus Epitopes in Humans Elicited both Enhancing and Neutralizing Effects on Infection in Non-Human Primates, ACS Infect. Dis. 2016, 2, 361−376.
7. Chong Tian, Xiaoqiang Lei, Yuanhao Wang, Zhen Dong, Gang Liu* and Yefeng Tang*, Total Syntheses of Periconiasins A-E, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2016, 55(24): 6992-6.
8. Nan Zhao, Mingna Sun, Kristin E. Burns-Huang, Xiuju Jiang, Yan Ling, Crystal M. Darby, Sabine Erht, Gang Liu* and Carl F. Nathan*, Identification of Rv3852 as an Agrimophol-Binding Protein in Mycobacterium tuberculosis, PLoS One 2015, 10(5): e0126211.
9. Yi Dong, Nana Du, Xueyuan Li, Litao Zheng, Gang Liu*, Tandem Chloropalladation/Cyclization and Dearomative Cyclization toward Functionalized Tricyclic Bridged [3.2. 1] Skeleton Compounds, Org. Lett. 2015, 17(16):4110-3.
10. Purong Zheng, Selin Somersan Karakaya, Shichao Lu, Julia Roberts, Maneesh Pingle, Thulasi Warrier, David Little, Xiaoyong Guo, Steven Brickner, Carl F. Nathan*, Ben Gold*, Gang Liu* Synthetic Calanolides with Bactericidal Activity Against Replicating and Non-replicating Mycobacterium tuberculosiss, J. Med. Chem. 2014, 57(9), 3755–3772.
11. Yi Dong, Gang Liu*，Rh-Catalyzed Sulfonic Acid Group Directed C-H Olefination of Arenes, Chem. Comm. 2013, 49, 8066-8068.
12. Shichao Lu, Purong Zheng, Gang Liu*, Iodine(III)-Mediated Tandem Oxidative Cyclization for Construction of 2-Nitrobenzo[b]furans, J. Org. Chem. 2012, 77, 7711-7717.
13. Xiaofan Lu, Li Liu, Xu Zhang, Terrence Lau, Stephen Kwok-Wing Tsui, Yuanxi Kang, Purong Zheng, Gang Liu* and Zhiwei Chen*, F18, a novel small molecule NNRTI, inhibits HIV-1 replication using distinct binding motifs, Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 2012, 56(1): 341-351.
14. Rui Liu, Zhuhui Huang, Michael G. Murray, Xiaoyong Guo, Gang Liu*, Quinoxalin-2(1H)-One Derivatives As Inhibitors Against Hepatitis C Virus, J. Med. Chem. 2011, 54, 5747–5768.
15. Yao Ma, Nan Zhao, Gang Liu*, Conjugate (MTC-220) of Muramyl Dipeptide Analogue and Paclitaxel Prevents Both Tumor Growth and Metastasis in Mice, J. Med. Chem., 2011, 54 (8), 2767–2777.
16. Gang Li, Dongmei Wang, Mingna Sun, Guangyan Li, Jinfeng Hu, Yun Zhang, Yuhe Yuan, Haijie Ji, Naihong Chen*, Gang Liu*. Discovery and Optimization of Novel 3-Piperazinyl Coumarin Antagonist of Chemokine – like factor 1 with oral Anti-asthma activity in mice. J. Med. Chem. 2010, 53 (4), 1741–1754.
17. Hai Xue, Xiaofan Lu, Purong Zheng, Li LIU, Chunyan Han, Jinping HU, Zijie Liu, Tao MA, Yan LI, Lin WANG , Zhiwei CHEN*, Gang LIU*, Highly suppressing wide type HIV-1 and Y181C mutation by 10-Chloromethyl-11-Demethyl-12-oxo calanolide A with druggable profile. J. Med. Chem. 2010, 53, 1397–1401.
18. Leilei Zhang, Yu Yan, Zijie Liu, Abliz Zeper, Gang Liu*, Identification of Peptide Substrate and Small Molecule Inhibitors of Testis-specific Serine/Threonine Kinase1 (TSSK1) By the Developed Assays, J. Med. Chem. 2009, 52, 4419-4428.
19. Fa Zhang, Wei Zhang, Yan Zhang, Dennis P. Curran, and Gang Liu*, Synthesis and Applications of Light-Fluorous Glycosyl Donor, J. Org. Chem. 2009, 74 (6), 2594-2597.
20. Tao MA, Li LIU, Hai XUE, Li LI, Chunyan HAN, Lin WANG, Zhiwei CHEN, Gang LIU*, The Chemical Library and Structure-Activity Relationship of Calanolide-A Analogues against HIV-1, J. Med. Chem. 2008, 51, 1432-1446.